Tuesday, February 7, 2012

SFL 358 Blog Entry #10 - The Lord of the Rings (the books)


My current favorite book is The Lord of the Rings. I know what you're thinking: "Hey, I thought that was three books!" Well, you're right, but I love the trilogy as a whole and I can't pick only one of them that I like the most. I actually hadn’t heard of The Lord of the Rings before the first movie came out, but after I saw it, I instantly fell in love with the series and read each book as quickly as I could. It is about a hobbit who, after chancing upon an evil ring of great power, must rely on new friends to journey into the heart of the evil land and destroy the ring. Not bad for one sentence, eh?

The books are packed with so much detail concerning all the numerous cultures of the imaginary place called Middle Earth. When one reads the trilogy, he gets just a small glimpse of the entire world Tolkien created. That’s one of the things I love about it. He created entire cultures, languages, and histories for his books, and though these three books make only references to this world, the thoroughness of the author’s work truly shines through. The story itself is great, too, as the heroes rely on friends and undergo many personal sacrifices as they seek to do what is right. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t read it yet!

For those of you who have read it, I recommend The Silmarillion. It is basically the history of Middle Earth from very beginning up until The Hobbit. It's only for die-hard Tolkien fans, but it's great!

5 comments:

Jean said...

Maybe I should go ahead and attempt The Silmarillion. It seems pretty intimidating!!

Shal said...

I read the Hobbit and loved it, but I haven't read LOTR yet. Maybe I'll put it on my list for post-graduation :) Have you heard of the Sword of Shanara series? It's by Terry Brooks. I've only read the first one and it has a very similar story line to LOTR. I recommend it.

Sarah Coyne said...

I've been meaning to read these books for years, but just haven't yet!! I know, super slacker.

Becca said...

Hey, he originally wrote it as one book so I always count it as one. :)

Chantel said...

I read The Hobbit and loved it. I'm excited for the movie The Hobbit too! I definitely want to read The Lord of The Rings Trilogy but haven't had the opportunity to yet.