Monday, February 6, 2012

SFL 358 Blog Entry #8 - Moneyball


Moneyball is one of the nominees for Best Picture this year in the Oscars. It's about the General Manager of the MLB Oakland Athletes (Brad Pitt) who, with an extremely limited budget and the help of a young mathematical genius (Jonah Hill), comes up with a new strategy for building the perfect team. They use statistics alone to figure out who should be on the team, thus totally disregarding talent scouts and basically the whole way the MLB has been run for decades.

I really enjoyed the movie. All the actors did a great job and they even used real footage from the 2002 games, which I thought was really cool. And though I'm not by any means a fan of baseball, the story really pulled me in. I was very much invested in the Athletes and was hoping they would win the whole time. That being said, however, I wouldn't exactly call it Best Picture material. I do highly recommend it, but I don't think it will win the award.

No comments: