Tuesday, January 17, 2012

SFL 358 Blog Entry #3 - X-Men: First Class


Before I saw it, I had heard mixed reviews, even from people whose opinion I really trust. It looked cool, but was some of the bad acting I had head about going to ruin the whole movie? After I watched it, though, I actually thought it was pretty good. Last week, I bought the movie and then watched the special features and the movie again, and I loved it! Some of the acting wasn't great (January Jones, I'm looking at you), but at the same time, some of it was phenomenal! James McAvoy (Xavier) and Michael Fassbender (Magneto) really made it a great movie. If you're extremely loyal to the comics, you might not enjoy some of the differences, but if you like the previous movies (well, X-Men 1 and 2), this is a great prequel. I highly recommend it!

As far as media content is concerned, it wasn't too bad. The worst of it falls into the clothing category. One of the characters, Emma Frost, is constantly showing cleavage and there are some other scantily-clad women as well. The violence in the film, however, is handled very well, and none of it is glorified, really. In fact, Xavier consistently tries to avoid violence and talk others out of it as well. He calls for more peaceful means of handling conflict. Great movie!

1 comment:

Jean said...

Well, that's good to hear! Tim had mixed feelings about this one, but I think I should see it....