Friday, January 20, 2012

SFL 358 Blog Entry #4 - Rise of the Planet of the Apes


Here's another great movie. It's the prequel to the original Planet of the Apes, telling the story of how the apes become more intelligent beings. The protagonist, played by James Franco, is a scientist trying to find the cure to Alzheimer's. He comes up with a serum that enables the brain to repair and rebuild cells and tests it on chimpanzees, only it actually makes them incredibly smart. Mischief and mayhem ensue.

I really didn't know what to expect for this one, but the effects looked cool. I was very impressed however, with the movie as an entirety. The characters are very believable as well as all the motives. I was left with no unwanted questions, such as why the character does what he does or how something happens. I also have to give mad props to the digital effects team. The apes are so realistic, especially the main chimp, Caesar. Andy Serkis did an amazing job giving him a distinct personality.

The only negative effects of media in this movie would be because of violence. Though it isn't gory, there is plenty of violence as the apes rise up against the humans. Some of it is somewhat glorified, and by that, I mean flippin' awesome! It's interesting, though, as I think about it, because I realize that all the "awesome" acts of violence are inflicted by apes on humans. You're actually rooting for the apes, which is odd because if this scenario were real, they'd definitely be the bad guys! Hmm... like I said, though, great movie!

3 comments:

Jean said...

Right on. I dig it.

Danielle said...

Amazing how excited we get over movies with apes in them! It is also amazing the graffics today that they can come up with!

Alexis said...

We just barely rented this movie this past weekend as well. I liked it better than I thought I would, but also thought the idea behind it was kind of crazy!